Severn River Cross Roads Foundation, Inc
Severn Cross Roads Foundation, Inc. is a not for profit Section 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization that was formed under Maryland law in the 1970's for the purpose of moving and preserving the Charles W. Baldwin Hall. Since the building was moved to its present location in the 1980's the Foundation has actively restored and maintained Baldwin Hall, and its surrounding grounds, for use as a community center.
The Main Hall
The Old Cross Roads Church was built by the Methodist Society in 1861. About 1896 the "crossroads church" was moved across Indian Landing Road to make way for the building of the Baldwin Memorial Church. The old church was used as the church school and parish hall until about 1970. Over much debate to destroy the old church hall in favor of a larger facilty, several local members tirelessly worked to raise funds and organize for the hall to be saved and moved once more. The church hall was then moved across Generals Highway to its current location.
The building is a significant example of country church architecture because it is a combination of the popular mid-19th century "Carpenter's Gothic" detailing applied to a much earlier form. The molded battens, tiny arches, louvered vent and shutters are creative and well executed embellishments on an 18th century church plan.
The School House
In 1999-2000, the Foundation was able to reconstruct a replica of the 1840's school house that once stood next to Baldwin Hall. The school house contains a local history and space for temporary exhibitions