© 2014 Judi Lohn                                 Proudly created with Wix.com

Follow us

                             Historic Baldwin Hall                                  1358  Millersville Road, Millersville, MD  21108

  • facebook-square

Tel 410 923-3438

Charles W. Baldwin Hall Architecture

The Old Cross Roads Church was built by the Methodist Society in 1861.
Large, One Story, Frame Building. A T-shaped Plan


The building is sheathed in vertical, board and batten siding.  The closely spaced, molded battens terminate in round arches beneath a block dentil cornice which surrounds the entire building.  The windows are tall and narrow, 9/9 panes, with round arched, "Gothic" sashes and louvered shutters.  The shutters have the same lourved tops as the windows.  There are four such windows on either side of a small, pedimented entrance proch.  The porch (which is still orginial), with a dentilled cornice identical to that on the main part of the building, is supported by two Tuscan columns. There are two doors under the porch, framed by simple pilasters, which terminate in two semi-circular fanlights with the same sash motif as the windows.  Two short, arched windows above the porch, light the gallery which spans the rear of the main room. Centered in the pediment is a louvred, fan-shaped vent.

The Builder 
William Jones, born October 4, 1816 and died January 20,1899 was the builder of Baldwin Hall.  He was a carpenter and an undertaker when occasion needed him.  He was also appointed a licensed official leader at the crossroads. Mr. Jones and his wife Eveline (Waring) occupied the land between Waterbury Road and just passed the current Millersville Elementary School.
The building was enlarged and modified begining circa 1935 and after.